Friday, April 12, 2013

April 12th - K is for King Kong (2005)

April 12th - K is for King Kong (2005)

 
I’ll be honest, I didn’t have time to watch all of this movie since it’s over 3 hours long, so every time I got bored, I skipped ahead a chapter on the DVD. It still took a really long time. I think that this movie has the same problem as House on Haunted Hill (my H review), in that they try to display all the emotions with long pauses. There are also a lot of pointless scenes where the camera just pans around, and while that gives you a great sense of where you are, it generally doesn’t help you get anywhere in the story. Story wise it’s really good. They did do a good job at fleshing out the story of King Kong and giving the characters realistic back stories. Not that I found any of them really likeable.
 
The CGI for Kong was good, but at any point that he’s interacting with any real world objects it comes out terrible. The real world object sticks out against the background with very obvious use of a green screen. The physic are also off with some of the other creatures like the dinosaurs. Oh, yeah, there are dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures. That part of the story makes no sense. I don’t really think we need to spend almost an hour on a boat at sea only to then be forced to watch another hour on an island full of really, REALLY big bugs. If you don’t like bugs, I really can’t recommend this movie since there are quite a few halfway through the movie. It gets really disgusting and I had to skip past it because I couldn’t stand to watch.
 
Anyways, I won’t go through all of the things that where in this movie. Let’s just call it like this: Great story, but too many pauses, not all of which need to be there, almost good CGI, and unrealistic extras. Just because there’s a giant gorilla doesn’t mean that there should be dinosaurs whose physics, make them look like a pile of Jello. There are a whole lot of other things I found wrong here, but I don’t have the time or space to rant. 2 out of 5.
 
King Kong cover off of IMDB
Stars from Google Images

2 comments:

  1. Like the new movie, although it was loonngg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update....now I won't berate myself for not watching it all... for the same reasons you didn't... Great theme.

    Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

    ReplyDelete