Monday, April 8, 2013

April 8th - G is for G.I. Joe (The Rise of Cobra)

April 8th - G is for G.I. Joe (The Rise of Cobra)

 
Since the new one is coming out, I figured I’d take a look back at the first one (in this storyline) to get me on track for when I see the new one. I’m still not sure whether to look forward to it or not.
 
I have to wonder why NATO would fund a project that could easily destroy all of the civilized world. I even checked up on it, and they still wouldn’t have funded something like this. Even though it would never happen, it makes for a good easy conflict. The movie takes place in the very near future, but somehow the bad guys have managed to harness gravity in the form of guns which are so overpowered that the “best” fighters in the world, the G.I Joes, are continually blown away by. This raises the question of whether there needs to nanomites at all.
 
All of that comes from within the first ten minutes of the movie. It shows one of my favorite points about this movie: how densely pack in the story in a action oriented film. It’s pretty good, but that’s not to say that you would turn to this movie if you wanted a story. It has enough story to make the action reasonable, but not enough to give us the full details of the world (i.e. the gravity guns). I think that since there will be a sequel, this movie did a good job at setting up the characters so that they don’t have to completely reintroduce us again.
 
SO, in the end, I felt it did very, very good in the action sequences, pretty good in the storytelling, but does lack some details I’m just itching to understand. The greatest fighters in the world shouldn’t have to be the underdogs. 4 out of 5.
G.I. Joe cover from IMDB
Stars from Google Images
 

2 comments:

  1. Just saw it yesterday. SO FUN. Love the ninja scene. Awesome awesome post.

    Happy A through Z posting.
    pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this movie yet, but maybe I will after reading your post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete